Down Payment Grants Open [Applications Due 1/17/22]
Flock may not be responsible for the injustice of the past but we’re responsible for reimagining and investing in a more just and equitable future. We are currently accepting applications for our housing justice grant until the end of the day on January 17, 2022.
Our housing justice program offers down payment grants to qualifying Black and Brown* first time home buying residents in the DC area. Awards range from $5,000 to $15,000 and grants are made multiple times per year until funds are expended. The application/review process is straight forward and uncomplicated. Our Board of Advisors reviews applications, interviews finalists and identifies grantees. This is a partnership with the Greater Washington Community Foundation who supports the administrative complexity so we can very simply help people buy homes.
* Applicants must identify as one of the following: American Indian, Indigineous, Alaska Native, Asian, Pacific Islander, Black, African American, Hispanic or Latinix
birdSEED made $40,000 in grants in March and June of 2021 and $50,000 in grants in September 2021. The total grant pool available was $215,000. An additional $30,000 was raised from supportive community members who shared our vision of simple, no strings financial down payment grants that accelerate the home buying process. If you are positioned to give, please do. Needs are great, resources are limited and your help is essential.
Flock DC, with support from our stellar Advisory Board and volunteers covering 100% of the cost to support birdSEED. That means every dollar donated goes into the down payment grant pool. We need more help and will gratefully accept donations, windfalls, unsolicited grants, sponsorships, partnerships and more so we can continue giving. To make a one time or recurring contribution, simply follow this link. For something with more zeroes, please reach out to [email protected] Together, let’s work toward repairing an unjust past and planting seeds for a brighter and more just future.
The fund will focus on Black and Brown first time home buying residents of the DMV area. The application/review process will be deliberately uncomplicated. A board of advisors will review applications and we will match funds with qualified applicants. A partnership with the Greater Washington Community Foundation will help support the administrative complexity so we can very simply help people buy homes.
First time homebuyer downpayment assistance grants will range from 5k - 15k per applicant. To contribute to and support this work, please reach out to [email protected] to get engaged in this work of repairing an unjust past and planting seeds for a brighter and more just future.
- Pre-qualification questionnaire
- Prepared to purchase a home
- First time and only home owner in the household
- Applicants must identify as one of the following: American Indian, Indigineous, Alaska Native, Asian, Pacific Islander, Black, African American, Hispanic or Latinix
- Buying in the DC area (the District of Columbia, the Counties of Montgomery and Prince Georges in the State of Maryland, the Counties of Arlington and Fairfax and the Cities of Alexandria and Falls Church in the Commonwealth of Virginia)
- Primary residence
- Essay and request for support (one page maximum)
- DMV resident for three + years
- Location of property; if applicants have not ratified a contract, they may have up to 120 days to use the assistance. At minimum, the property must pass inspections consistent with FHA lending requirements for habitability.